Surplus.ae is committed to protecting our customer's privacy. Please take the time to review this notice which explains what information we collect about you, how we use it, and your rights. surplus.ae Portal as "surplus.ae" and "surplus.ae" ("we" "our" "us") is the data controller of the personal data collected via or in connection with surplus.ae.ae or Mobile App (the “Site”).
We take your privacy very seriously and are keen to ensure that you do not receive any unwelcome messages or spam as a result of your joining surplus.ae
• We do not publish your email address on the web site;
• You have complete control over any emails that surplus.ae sends you;
• We do not share your details with any other company for marketing purposes.
The policy below explains in detail how we manage your personal information.
What personal data do we collect about you?
We collect personal data from you when you provide it to us directly and through your use of the Site. This information may include:
• Information you provide to us when you use our Site;
• Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Site. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use surplus.ae, subscribing to any of our services, posting material, sending messages or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you report an issue or concern in connection with your use of surplus.ae or we have received a complaint or query about you;
• Details of transactions you carry out via surplus.ae;
• Records of your interactions with us (e.g. if you contact our customer service team, interact with us on social media);
• Information you provide us when you enter a competition or participate in a survey;
• Information collected automatically using cookies and other tracking technologies (e.g. which pages you viewed and whether you clicked on a link in one of our email updates). We may also collect information about the device you use to access our Site;
• Details of your visits to surplus.ae including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access;
• Details of the messages you send and receive using our messaging service including without limitation, when you sent or received a message and the contents of that message. We may (but are not obliged to) view the contents of any message whether or not you have viewed its contents. Messages are not private and are not confidential.
What do we use this personal data for?
Depending on how you use our Site, your interactions with us, and the permissions you give us, the purposes for which we use your personal data include:
• To fulfil your order and maintain your online account.
• To manage and respond to any queries or complaints to our customer service team.
• To personalise the Site to you and show you content we think you will be most interested in, based on your account information, your purchase history and your browsing activity.
• To improve and maintain the Site, and monitor its usage.
• For market research, e.g. we may contact you for feedback about our products.
• To send you marketing messages and show you targeted advertising, where we have your consent or are otherwise permitted to do so.
• For security purposes, to investigate fraud and where necessary to protect ourselves and third parties.
• To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations.
We rely on the following legal basis, under data protection law, to process your personal data:
• Because the processing is necessary to perform a contract with you, or take steps prior to entering into a contract with you (e.g. where you have made a purchase with us, we use your personal data to process the payment and fulfil your membership).
• Because we have obtained your consent (e.g. where you contact us with a query, where you add optional information to your account profile, or if you consent to receive marketing from us).
• Because it is in our legitimate interests as an e-commerce provider to maintain and promote our services. We are always seeking to understand more about our customers in order to offer the best products and customer experience. We use information about you to tailor your view of the Site, to make it more interesting and relevant in respect of the products and offers on view.
We love to communicate with our customers and so, depending on your marketing preferences, we may use your personal data to send you marketing messages by email, phone or post. Some of these messages may be tailored to you, based on your previous browsing or purchase activity, and other information we hold about you. If you no longer want to receive marketing communications from us (or would like to opt back in!), you can change your preferences at any time by contacting the surplus.ae Customer Service Team [email protected], clicking on the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any email, or updating your settings in your account. If you unsubscribe from marketing, please note that we may still contact you with service messages from time to time (e.g. membership queries, and information about your legal rights). You may also see ads for our Site on third party websites, including on social media. These ads may be tailored to you using cookies (which track your web activity and enable us to serve advertising to customers who have visited our Site). Where you see an ad on social media, this may be because we have engaged the social network to show ads to our customers, or users who match the demographic profile of our customers. In some cases, this may involve sharing your email address with the social network. If you no longer want to see tailored ads you can change your cookie and privacy settings on your browser and these third party websites.
Who do we share this personal data with?
We share customers’ personal data with third parties in the following circumstances:
• With other companies in our group of companies, as necessary to operate the Site.
• With our suppliers and service providers working for us, e.g. payment processors and delivery companies.
• With our professional and legal advisors.
• With third parties engaged in fraud prevention and detection.
• With law enforcement or other governmental authorities, e.g. to report a fraud or in response to a lawful request.
• Otherwise where we have your consent or are otherwise legally permitted to do so.
surplus.ae works with trusted third parties to help promote your adverts. By uploading an advert to surplus.ae, you consent to sharing your publicly available information with our trusted partners. If you want any more information on our third parties, please contact us at [email protected] Storage and Retention
We use service providers based around the world. Consequently, your personal data may be processed in countries outside of UAE, including in countries where you may have fewer legal rights in respect of your data than you do under local law. If we transfer personal data outside the UAE Area we will, as required by applicable law, ensure that your privacy rights are adequately protected by appropriate safeguards, in particular the UAE standard contractual clauses. Please contact us if you would like more information about these safeguards. We will keep your personal data for as long as we need it for the purposes set out above, and so this period will vary depending on your interactions with us. For example, where you have made a purchase with us, we will keep a record of your purchase for the period necessary for invoicing, tax and warranty purposes. We may also keep a record of correspondence with you (for example if you have made a complaint about a product) for as long as is necessary to protect us from a legal claim. Where we no longer have a need to keep your information, we will delete it. Please note that where you unsubscribe from our marketing communications, we will keep a record of your email address to ensure we do not send you marketing emails in future. Security
This Site ensures that data is encrypted when leaving the Site. This process involves the converting of information or data into a code to prevent unauthorised access. This Site follows this process and employs secure methods to ensure the protection of all credit and debit card transactions if any. Encryption methods such as SSL are utilised to protect customer data when in transit to and from this Site over a secure communications channel. Whilst we do everything within our power to ensure that personal data is protected at all times from our Site, we cannot guarantee the security and integrity of the information that has been transmitted to our Site. Children
Our Site is not intended for, and should not be used by, children under the age of 18. We do not knowingly collect personal data from children under 18. Cookies Policy
We collect information about our customers via server logs, cookies, order forms and competitions. Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit. They are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the site. The information collected in this way can be used to identify you unless you modify your browser settings. None of our cookies store any credit/debit card information nor password details. The tables below explain the cookies we use and why.
These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the website. Without these cookies, essential parts of our service like shopping baskets or e-billing cannot be provided. Performance Cookies These cookies collect information about how visitors use our website, for instance which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages. These cookies do not collect information that identifies a visitor. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. By using our website, you agree that we can place these type of cookies on your device. Functionality Cookies
These cookies allow our website to remember choices that you make (such as your user name, language, or the region you are in), and provide enhanced, more personal features. They may also be used to provide services you have asked for such as watching a video or commenting on a blog. By using our website, you agree that we can place these type of cookies on your device. Targeting and Advertising Cookies
These cookies are used to deliver adverts more relevant to you and your interests. They are also used to limit the number of times you see an advertisement as well as help measure the effectiveness of the advertising campaign. They are placed by advertising networks or affiliates with our permission. They remember that you have visited a website and that this information is shared with other organisations such as advertisers. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device. If you would like to disable any of these cookies, please see the section below headed 'How to Restrict or Block Cookies' for further details. Your rights
You have certain rights in respect of your personal data, including the right to access and correct your personal data, portability and request the erasure of your personal data. You also have the right to object to your personal data being used for certain purposes, including to send you marketing. See ‘Marketing’ above, for more details of how to opt-out of marketing. We will comply with any requests to exercise your rights in accordance with applicable law. Please be aware, however, that there are a number of limitations to these rights, and there may be circumstances where we are not able to comply with your request. To make any requests regarding your personal data, or if you have any questions or concerns regarding your personal data, you should contact us using the details below. You are also entitled to contact your local supervisory authority for data protection.
surplus.ae may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites. Contact Us
Last Updated: 06-Oct-2022